In Alberta, Canada, every year, approximately 1200 pedestrians are hit by vehicles. At least 50 of those will die. Hundreds are seriously injured. Many suffer so severely their lives and the lives of their family will never again be the same.
Statistics prepared by the Alberta Transportation Office of Safety found that in nearly all cases, the drivers were at fault. Rarely was a driver who hit a pedestrian driving properly. The Office of Safety found the main causes of the accidents were when the vehicle driver:
- Failed to yield the right-of-way to the pedestrian.
- Backed up in an unsafe manner.
- Made improper and unsafe turns. pedestrian.
- Ran a red light or stop sign.
- Other causes include distracted drivers, speeding and alcohol impairment.
Due to the vulnerability of pedestrians, injuries from being hit by a car are often physically and emotionally severe. It is common for a driver’s insurer to make a quick settlement offer to injured pedestrians. This is almost always too low and does not take into account long-term needs of the injured person. You need an experienced lawyer to help you collect fair compensation for your injuries
If you have been injured in such an accident, some of the damages to which you may be entitled include:
- Current medical expenses and those you may incur in the future due to your injuries.
- Current lost wages and those you may lose in the future due to your injuries.
- Physical rehabilitation and job retraining if you are unable to return to your former career.
- Life-time medical and nursing care.
- Pain and suffering.
As the founder of Exclusively Injury Law, I have more than 22 years of experience working for my injured clients and have a reputation for achieving excellent results. Contact me for a free consultation. I will review all the facts of your case and together, we will decide how to proceed.